HW4

The Things I Learned in Week 4


1) My project my future.


I have decided on a topic for my term project. As stated in previous blogs I’m building a simple machine learning program. I have not decided what input data I will be using yet but I have a few ideas in mind. This project has a lot of moving parts that need to be fleshed out before I start actually building it. I’m currently researching how best to tackle the project and what resources I want to use to accomplish it.

My steps over the next few weeks will be to identify what language I want to write my project in, decide what data I want to use, outline my data set, and build my basic project framework. Research and modification will be an ongoing part of the project due to its nature and my basic understanding of what I’m getting myself into. I think as I work through some of the issues my scope will come into view, as long as I can keep the creep out I should be on schedule to accomplish it by the end of the course.

2) What about John?


Intrade's CEO was lost while summiting Mt Everest. The company itself was never able to recover from the loss of its strong leader, John Delaney and closed its doors in 2013. The current status of Intrade.com is currently a historically landing page for the company but they do appear to have a project in the works https://www.augur.net/

I think there might be more to the story, however, they had a track record of successful predictions and Mt. Everest is quite the trip to die on and take 4 people with you. I think it was just poor timing. 

3)  Change up the contract!


The specific question I asked during the Delphy method test would not work as a prediction contract. For it to work I would need to get more specific and identify specific components/variables people could wager on instead of a broad generalization of an idea for a tech that could happen.

4)  Predict my contract!


Various “Contacts” 

- When will personal computers be able to interface with the human brain on a mass-market scale?
- What is the tech going to be?
- Will the tech cause issues?
- What issues are those?

5) Are childhood dreams real?


Part A:

Pausch said - Do good things and good things will happen. Do the right thing and life will reward you. The dreams will come to you.

I agree that you should put things out there to make yourself a better person but the bottom line is the universe doesn't owe you anything. You could do all the correct things and be a good person and still end up poor with no prospects. I do think you should be a good person because you expect something, you should be one because it’s a better option. 

Part B:

I agree that happiness is a byproduct of our actions and that doing something with the idea of happiness as a reward is fleeting. I also don't agree with traditional dynamics and roles. A person can only be responsible for their own happiness and we need to find meaning in our own work, hobbies, and life. We cannot be dependent on others for that. If we take care of ourselves by extension we take care of our relationships. It’s all about self-love and motivation, never put that in something/someone outside your control. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog