HW6

1) What is Smrt (Spelled Correctly)

The big "thing" in tech right now is machine learning(ml), i.e. artificial intelligence(ai), but what is it really and how will my simple project tap into that and show the potential of this tech? First and foremost my simple ml program will not go on to enslave the human population or even help it through it's simple day to day problems. What my project will do is demonstrate the base fundamental programing that is involved in some of these programs. What am I building? How Long will it take? What if I don't get it completed? These are the question inquiring minds want to know.

Overall my program will be a simple sorting ai. At this point, I'm not sure what it will be sorting yet, most likely images. Another option I've been thinking through is statistical analysis and prediction but I'm not sure if I have the time to write and debug something like that for this class. Either way in the in you should be able to feed it a dataset and have it sort it or output a prediction and have this evolve or refine over time(until it breaks).

Once I have the dataset and the scope of the project outlined the actual coding should only take me a few weeks. This could be an optimistic prediction for me and my skill level/knowledge with ml but I feel for a simple ai this should be adequate. The biggest part for me is how to present in a way that demonstrates the level of effort involved.

If the unthinkable happens and my project is not completed and ready to present in time I will compile all my notes and writings into a paper/presentation. I think that in itself is a great project, relating the trials and tribulations of the program and what's gone into as well as talking about the potential uses for the tech. I would talk about the languages and applications I was going for as well.

Overall I think building out a simple base ai/ml program to present to that class is doable and within my skill set. I obviously cannot predict the problems but I have a contingency in place and look forward to presenting regardless of the outcome.

2) My topic of choice is cell-phones.

Kline and Rosenberg model

For this model, it's pretty clear how it works with cell phones. Cell phones are driven by interactive learning and have evolved due to market demand and input. Consumers give feedback either verbally or purchase power driving the design and tech of phones. This process is ongoing.

Abernathy and Utterback model

Cell phones can be fit into this model but not perfectly. If we think about phones as a whole though it works. We started with wall phones, then wireless phones, and finally cell. We have settled on cell phones being the standard. Within the cell industry, various companies vi for dominance with their particular tech. 

Clark and Henderson model

This model is another good fit for cell phones. Cell tech is always in a state of flux and can be upended with the advent of new better technologies. 

Teece model

The Teece model is particularly relevant to the cell industry. The supply market and access to components have a direct correlation to the availability of products and their price. Legacy companies such as Apple and Samsung have staying power and dominate that market because of their complementary assets.

Christensen I model

This is relevant to the cell industry because people, money, and equipment and come and go. Processes can be difficult, like supply chains, etc. Values could be sticking to a brand standard and changing a brand is hard. 

Value Chain Evolution model

Cell phone manufacturers would be considered a specialized company, they do not produce all the components for phones in-house, instead of outsourcing a lot of it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog